The building is a faithful recreation of the original Mitsubishi Ichigokan which stood on the same location.
Originally completed in 1894 and designed by British architect Josiah Conder, the building was torn down in 1968. The construction company responsible for the current incarnation used portions of the original plans and materials used at the time of the original construction. The new building, built out of red brick and cast concrete, have three stories above ground and two stories below. - Wikipedia